Friday, October 31, 2008

Weight check




We had a photographer come over yesterday to take newborn photos of Alex. Besides the screaming he did the whole time, we both thought he looked incredibly gaunt when we reviewed the photos on the camera. The paranoid parents that we are we decided to get Alex weighed again today since he's been struggling with getting back to his birth weight. Well we went to the pediatrician's office and unfortunately he's down 3 ounces from last week. Not only is he not gaining weight but he's losing weight. They decided to have us see the pediatrician today until waiting until next week. She's concerned about his weight and wanting us to supplement breast milk with a bottle after each feeding. Luckly I've been pumping so we have some frozen that will hopefully last us until next week. John introduced the bottle and is in the room with him right now. As far as I can tell Alex doesn't seem to mind the it (lets just hope he will still take the breast). We go back next week for his one month check up and he'll also have his weight checked. Unfortunately I will probably have to start formula feeding with a bottle after each feeding since the frozen breast milk will only last so long. If Alex is doing good with his weight by next week then no medical tests are going to be need to rule out anything serious. Pray for us that we'll have nothing to be concerned about.

It's really hard on me knowing that Alex's weight probably has something to do with my supply. I have cried the past three days thinking that I'm a failure. I have to remind myself that I have done so much for him thus far and even one day of breast feeding is better than no days - I've gotten as far as a month. If Alex has to get SOME formula so be it, I just want him healthy.




No comments:

Post a Comment